Revitalising Redesdale partners were successful in their first-round bid for Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) support in 2015, for the development phase of the Project. HLF is supporting a Project Development Manager with resources to commission feasibility studies for the Project’s initial ideas, towards a second-round HLF bid in July 2017. We should know by Christmas whether Revitalising Redesdale has successfully secured funds to implement an exciting range of projects in the valley.
The final proposals will be agreed by the Project Board, comprising members from Natural England, Otterburn, Elsdon, and Rochester with Byrness Parish Councils, the Redesdale Society, Tyne Rivers Trust, Northumberland Wildlife Trust, Environment Agency, Forestry Commission, Ministry of Defence, the Battlefields Trust, and the Northumberland National Park.
Projects being considered for the final bid include:
- High Rochester Roman Fort Consolidation and Protection
- River Rede Restoration and Enhancement of water quality, freshwater pearl mussels and riparian habitats.
- Ridsdale 19th Century Iron Works Restoration
- Cycling and Walking Routes Improvements
- Natural Habitats and Species Protection including blanket bog and upland hay meadows
- Community Archaeology and History Projects
- Battle of Otterburn Interpretation
- Growing Local Skills to support the enhancement of local natural and cultural heritage
- Improving Our Visitors’ Experience through better visitor signage and interpretation